Wednesday 8 May 2013

Gatsby...What Gatsby?

Lovelies,













I know I previously mentioned my excitement for the upcoming release of the Great Gatsby in my Summer Playlist, but I still felt the need to dedicate an entire post to my Gatsby obsession in order to give it the amount of attention it deserves.

I first read The Great Gatsby this past summer. Although it took me a while to get past the complexity of Fitzgerald's sentence structure and flowery descriptions, the plot consumed my interest; it wasn't long until it became my favorite novel. Although I don't consider myself a romantic, there is something undoubtably charming about Gatsby's sense of determination to capture Daisy's heart again; add in the Jazz Age and New York City, and you have, arguably, one of the greatest pieces of American literature.

Gatsby has gotten more than its share of press over the past few months. The latest Vogue, pictured above, features Carey Mulligan and discusses the so-called "Gatsby phenomenon" sweeping the nation. Meanwhile, companies such as Tiffany and Co. and Brooks Brothers have launched limited collections inspired by the upcoming film. Tiffany's launch party, held at Rockefeller Center in New York, featured acrobatic acts and elaborate displays. Bill Cunningham was there to photograph the event, of course. ;)

One thing is for sure - A Gatsby craze is upon us.

My only concern about this film is Director Baz Lurhmann's desire to "modernize" the plot, in turn eliminating some of the authenticity. I'd like to think that the star-studded cast, amazing soundtrack and Lurhman's over-the-top opulence will dazzle. However, I can't be sure.

I know that my dress isn't exactly reminiscent of the Jazz Age, but the draw-string waist and print almost emulates the avant-garde styles worn by the flappers, and Daisy Buchanans alike, during the 20's. ;) I adore this dress due to its simplicity, comfort, and pop of color. I accessorized with dainty, classic pieces such as the Anthropologie flower posts and Madewell friendship bracelet.


Notes on the Outfit-
Tulle Shift Dress
Ray-Ban Wayfarers
Anthropologie Earrings
Dogeared Necklace
Madewell Friendship Bracelet
Franco Sarto Sandals
XOXO,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment