Monday 9 July 2012

Demel

Lovelies,


Wien, pronounced "Vee-yen", is the German name for Vienna.




Watching the pastry chef.


 Accents in the cafe upstairs.





I simply could not visit Austria without showcasing a confectionary shop; That would be a crime. Beforehand, I did some research online to find a well known shop to visit whilst in Vienna. However, I soon realized I already knew the perfect store- Demel.

Back when I was around seven, my dad traveled to New York on business. He brought back a box of chocolates from their New York Boutique (once housed inside The Plaza). The chocolates, known as cat's tongues (Les langues de chat in French, or Katzenzungen in German), were gone in a flash. I kept the box (it still resides in the back of my closet!) as a reminder of how fantastic chocolate could taste. After doing a bit of additional research, I found that Demel's headquarters was located in Vienna. Needless to say, I couldn't wait.
We visited the headquarters three times in all! The food in Vienna was rather different...think, lots of schnitzel, liver pate, creamed things...it was pretty suspicious. Thankfully, the cafe at Demel housed fresh and familiar foods, such as Gazpacho, Angel Hair Pasta and Tea Sandwiches. (Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying different foods...but after a while, I was craving Starbucks and greek salad.) The best part? All their food-even the club sandwich- was presented aesthetically. The presentation, service and atmosphere all made for a wonderful experience.

Of course, I had to get some chocolate while I was here. ;) I ordered the hot chocolate as an afternoon refresher. To be honest, no hot chocolate will ever be able to match Demel's. It's a fact.

XOXO,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment