Monday 2 July 2012

Old Town

Lovelies,









So begins the documentation of my summer vacation to Europe!:)  I was really looking forward to this trip because I saw it as a way to expand the content of my blog; while continuing to post outfits, I want to start focusing a bit more on the things I experience while exploring a new country. Luckily, my first stop was Prague, a city who's vibrant and artistic community faced communism and World War II several decades ago. 

 We arrived at the airport after spending around 24 hours traveling to our final destination. IT. WAS. EXHAUSTING. I somehow always think I'm going to miraculously outsmart jetlag and feel happy as a clam when I get off the plane...but unfortunately, it never works out. :/ The combination of policeman riding segways all over the airport (ONLY in europe!) and the unreadable Czech signs made my brain swim just a tad. After finding our luggage, we drove into Prague's city square. The buildings, although somewhat shabby on the outside, are absolutely dazzling on the inside. (Think chandeliers, rare woods, pastel colors and gorgeous lighting.)

These photos were taking outside of the Jewish Cemetery, located just a few blocks away from the city's square, known as the Old Town Square. Prague itself is divided into five sections- Josefov (Jewish Quarter), Old Town, New Town, The Castle of Prague and Malá Strana. The Jewish Quarter is also home to the oldest Synagogue in Europe, which is rumored to hold this mythical creature known as the Golem in its attic. Mysterious? Definitely.

I really liked the atmosphere around the Jewish quarter in contrast with my choice of clothing. I bought the shirt on a Forever 21 run with my dearest girl, Elsa. To me, the construction of the sleeves and the collar seems to reference the 50's. I increased the femininity of the outfit by adding the J. Crew necklace. After a year, I finally wore it! :) I topped it all off with my vintage Dooney, Ray-Bans, Henri Bendel Bracelet and J. Crew flats that I bought in San Francisco.

The pants? They're a story in themselves. Originally, I bought a pair of ripped tomato colored jeans while I was at Forever 21 with Elsa. Just as my heart set on them, I realized the zipper was broken...but, being me, I wouldn't put them down. I told myself I could just sew some hooks and eyes on them, turning them into wearable and ridiculously fantastic pants. With the bonus 5% discount Forever 21 gave me, I felt like I was getting them for a bargain. (Insert LOADS of sarcasm here). Unfortunately, my three hours of sewing while Elsa watched Midnight in Paris didn't exactly work out so hot. The fly gapped strangely, and I felt really awkward in them. In panic mode, I flew to Gap and found these. They're not exactly what I'm looking for, but they'll look great in Winter. (You bet I'm going to find a way to make those pants work, though). (:

XOXO,

Em







No comments:

Post a Comment